Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Power of Relationship


"The Eskimos have hundreds of words for snow but we've invented three times that many words for relationships. What really defines a relationship?"

-Carrie Bradshaw

Last night my dad, after several rounds of lung-tearing screams and yells from my mom, admitted that he has an infidel relationship with a woman named Aurora. How long the relationship has been in existence or how it existed, I am not sure. Nor do I want to find out. The truth is I’m not really all that bothered by the current situation my parents are facing. Dad has been having other women left and right ever since I can remember. One thing this gave me however is a whole bunch of questions about relationships.

“What guarantee do we have in a relationship?”

“Are relationships worth giving it your all if you have no proof that it’ll last?”

“When we speak of proofs or guarantees in a relationship, what are these? Where are these proofs? Where should they come from?”

“If a relationship fails, does that mean the proofs no longer exist? And did they ever exist in the first place?”

“Can one mistake kill all the proofs of a relationship at once?”

I won’t say that I’m an expert when it comes to relationships. Nor would I claim that I know a thing or two about it. But this I can say: Relationships are like the battery of a mobile phone. You’ll never know when you might get a call or a text message that can leave the battery low. But you wait for the call. You recharge the battery because you need the phone. But there’s a possibility that you might receive another call- one that may take longer and can possibly drain the battery of its energy.

But when do you change the battery? When do you decide the phone’s not working for you anymore and you throw it away and find a new one. One with a new battery? Perhaps. Are there occasions when you simply throw the phone yet keep the battery?

Or do you sometimes change the battery but use the same phone?

What signals do you wait for to recharge the battery? Is the battery worth the effort of recharging?

In this jungle of relationships we’re living in people act like animals when in the prospect of gaining a new battery or phone. And one just can’t help but feel helpless when a more vicious animal comes to use their phone or drain its battery.

No comments:

Post a Comment