Saturday, February 6, 2010

Failed Reading and Web


“The reading of all good books is like conversation with the finest men of the past centuries.” - Descartes

I’ve always had a love-hate relationship with reading. I’d really love to read more because I know that I’m doing a whole lot of good for myself if I do, but I’m a really lazy reader, not to mention stubborn- I only read materials that I like and nothing else. This is my major problem with reading- most materials I am able to put my hands on seem interesting enough to read but fail on keeping me interested enough to actually pursue the entire thing.
Today, I attempted to begin reading The Cardinal’s Hat by Mary Hollingsworth, a book I bought about a month ago and have been collecting dusts since. I was able to finish about 5 whole pages before I decided that the phasing was too slow for me and put it off for another time.
After setting the book on a counter top, I realized that I really want to be a better reader so I looked on the web for possible solutions to my problem.

To my dismay, it seems the web does not (or rather would not) offer instant and credible solutions to all my problems. There weren’t any real sites that offer credible and short (hello lazy reader looking for solution) information on how I can be a more proactive reader. Most of the sites I found just give out tips on how one can improve his reading comprehension without even taking into consideration if the person is actually motivated to read, and do not even mention the credibility of the information they’re offering. This is really a major disappointment for me cause I’ve always had this picture in my head that all the information mankind will ever need can be found on the world wide web, especially information that can cure a problem that is so prevalent amongst today’s youth. And though, today, the web has failed me to find an actual solution, it did give me one consolation for my seeking it for an answer.

The 7 Pleasurable Ways to Improve Your Reading Ability is an article I found that was authored by Steve Kaufmann (founder of thelinguist.com and, naturally, a linguist). Though the article does not actually address my problem directly (and is quite lengthy for me), I believe that reading between the lines of the 7 tips can help me find the answer. Please take the time to read the article and see for yourself what I’m talking about. If you find that the article is not an answer to your problem (which I’m hoping since you’ve been reading this is the same as mine), do not talk trash on this page. Instead, try to find a more effective answer somewhere else. Reading is objective but comprehension is not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment