Friday, February 5, 2010

Your, You’re, Their, They’re, Its, It’s


How annoying is it to hear a host repeatedly use the phrase “at this point in time” during one program?As annoying as hearing your dad tell you to take “cock syrup” instead of cough syrup.

Now, I’m actually no grammarian or linguist or any kind of expert on anything. But it does bug me when learned people make usual and obvious grammatical errors. It bugs me so much that I end up correcting them right then and there with no respect as to who I am talking (or not talking) with.

I remember this one time at school when I and my friend Ross were talking to one of her professors, an ambassador. He talked in straight English but kept throwing wrong verb usages and tenses everywhere. After their conversation, Ross turned to me and asked me what my problem was. Of course I was like “what?” Then she said that I kept correcting the guy’s grammar under my breath- something I was not able to actually notice till she pointed it out. From that day on, I started noticing that even though I myself have grammatical flaws, it does not stop me from noticing errors on other people’s writing or speaking. And it’s not like I intend to notice it, its really unintentional and something I just do unconsciously.

There was this other instance when my friend, Bern, wrote an article that was published in the school paper. Everyone congratulated him for a great job on the article and they kept saying that they had “nose bleeds” while reading it. Of course I wasn’t one who’s actually interested in reading the school paper, but intrigue got the best of me and since I already paid for it with my miscellaneous fee I decided to grab one and check it out. Now as I was reading through the article, unconsciously, I took out my pen and started circling grammatical errors. And I didn’t even notice what I was doing till I was done with the entire article. After which, I thought to myself “why wasn’t the editor able to see these?”

Now I’m not really saying that I’m a great person or a champion of correct verb usage (which is just creepy) or anything of that sort. In fact I maybe a dumb pussy or a huge mother-fucking ass hole for posting this. But what I would really like is for people to start paying attention to the way they communicate. It’s really not that hard and can improve the quality of one’s mind in more ways than one.

To end this post, I have here 11 Little-Known Grammatical Errors which I’m hoping you would all take the time to read and absorb.

No comments:

Post a Comment